ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: Ath. Khaleke Hudson

Hey everyone,

Ryan Snyder. I cover Penn State and Pitt recruiting. I've dropped in to talk recruiting a few times in the past.

I just wanted to pass it on that I was able to catch up with McKeesport Ath. Khaleke Hudson late last night.

I literally got out of bed to answer his call late night. Looking back, I wish I would've went into a bit more detail on some things, but we spoke close to midnight, so I wasn't on my A game. Sorry about that. I should've asked more about Michigan, Virginia Tech and the schools that I don't cover regularly.

He did note that Penn State, Pitt, Michigan, UCLA, Wisconsin and Virginia Tech are his top six right now, which makes sense. I think most believed that those schools were the ones standing out.

I also confirmed his visit plans. He'll be at UCLA this weekend, Dec. 11-13. He'll then visit:

Michigan - Jan. 15-17
Penn State - Jan. 22-24
Wisconsin - Jan. 29-31

Virginia Tech has a good chance to get a visit during the week in January. I think it's likely that he'll also take an unofficial visit to Pitt during those final few weeks as well.

As for who's standing out, these visits are going to be really important. I'd personally be surprised if he ended up at UCLA, but I do believe that Michigan and Wisconsin are firmly in the mix. I think he likes Virginia Tech a lot, too. Just doesn't have much of a relationship with Fuente and his staff at the moment, but I know he's always really like the school.

I still think PSU and Pitt are probably 1 and 1A on his board, but the other two Big Ten schools have really impressed him recently. They're both making a major push, so it'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Va. Tech definitely has a chance, too. It'll be on Hudson to build a relationship with the Va. Tech staff during the dead period. I'm sure he'll reach out to them a few times to get to know them more.

Click Here to read the update. Click Here to watch his film from this past season.

Serving myself crow and saying goodbye

1. I was wrong on my pick with Chad Morris and admit it. I was going my the info given. I am serving myself crow. I told ya, if correct, I would be patting myself on the back. If wrong, I would quickly come on and admit it.

2. The timing of this is fun. Come January, I'm Sochi, Russia bound for about 335 days per year, so I leave the U.S right at the time of the transition.

3. Thankfully, Coach Beamer and the old offensive regime at VT is gone. VT was smart to keep Shane Beamer. This one, they were spot on and the guy has intensity and fervor. You want someone like that in your program. Of course, Stiney is gone. He is not being retained from everything I've read and that is critically important for the change of our culture on offense and recruiting. Things are looking up for VT and the future.

4. This will be my last post on HokieHaven.

Peace,

***INsider: Jimmie Taylor Update***

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke earlier with Southwest-Onslow (NC) three-star DE Jimmie Taylor. To give you an idea of how much a priority he's been to keep on board, last night, he had an in-home visit from Justin Fuente, assistant coaches Charley Wiles and Holmon Wiggins and Chuck Cantor, VT's director of player personnel. Cantor has been taking the role of an assistant coach, recruiting-wise while the Hokies are shorthanded.

Taylor told me they all ate Pizza Hut at his house. He said Fuente told him about his past, at Memphis and TCU and how he wants to develop Taylor into a good player and a good man, to prepare him for life after football. Taylor also told me, "He said he's excited to coach me."

Taylor told me he's always been committed firmly to VT, but the Hokies keeping Wiles and defensive coordinator Bud Foster helped a lot. Taylor said, "Of course, Coach Wiles is the reason I wanted to go there." He told me he was skeptical when Frank Beamer announced his retirement but was "ecstatic" when he found out Wiles and Foster would be staying.

Taylor will officially visit Virginia tech this weekend. He still plans to graduate this month and enroll at VT next month for the spring semester.

Greene Decommits

Guys, I was away from my computer for the past about hour and a half, but Courtland (Va.) two-star LB Victor Greene has informed me that he has decommitted from VT. Not surprising. I spoke with him last night and he said that he hadn't heard anything from new coach Justin Fuente since he arrived at VT Nov. 29.

Greene was recruited by defensive coordinator Bud Foster. Greene said he still has not heard from Foster or any member of the staff since Justin Fuente arrived last week. Greene's only other offer right now is from Coastal Carolina.

rvls.co/1SME4lR

Question on Shane Beamer

His name is being bantered about here at South Carolina. Not clear yet what position. He was greatly admired when he was here a few years ago and serving as recruiting coordinator. Brought in a lot of studs. Is he likely to be offered a position on Fuentes' staff or do you all see him going elsewhere?

Congrats on the hire and thanks for your feedback.

So the staff is almost complete...

Need to fill a few more and we're good to go. Right now it's...

Head coach: Justin Fuente
O-coordinator: Brad Cornelsen(unofficial)
D-coordinator: Bud Foster
O-line coach: Vance Vice
D-line coach: Charley Wiles
RB coach: Holmon Wiggins
LB coach: Galen Scott(best guess)
WR coach: no clue
DB: Torrian Gray
Special teams/TE coach: James Shibest

Will the O-coordinator also be the QB coach? Will it be Wiggins at RB coach or WR coach? Unsure who WR coach will be if it isn't Wiggins.dm4vtdu mentioned eight new people joining the staff in some capacity. Any clue what they'll be doing or what their job title will be? I assume its 100% for recruiting purposes.

Looks like 60 Thousand Clemson fans will be in Panther Stadium

Heres hoping Clemson has a good showing...1st time the ACC Championship Game will be sold out...I would wager since Clemson is #1, the viewership will also be the highest ever....

There was a poster on this board last week who said Charlotte was a Tarheel Town and they would take up the seats sold to,the general public....Looking at the Clemson board, it was said that there are over 20 thousand alumni in the Charlotte metro area which includes Rock Hill, Fort Mill and Tega Cay....Even Clemson's Campus is closer not to mention Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville metro areas around the upstate and western NC with all the orange are only less than a 2 hour drive....

It will be a sad day for the ACC if Clemson does not win....It will mean Bama, MSU/Iowa, Stanford & OSU will hog the spotlight...

Joey Slye

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I thought we should give props to Slye. The difference in the UVA game was his field goals. He made all three, all from 40+ yds., including a 48 yarder, while their kicker missed one. If it was the other way around, we lose. Not bad for a guy who was supposed to be all about distance and little accuracy. Just about all of his misses this year were long attempts. A lot of teams out there would like to have a guy as consistent as he has been this year.
Reactions: datHOKIEvt

Fuente's biggest challenge

In regards to whipping the current roster into a better offense, again it is the OL that is going to determine the success of next year's team. Yeah, we'll have to break in a new starting QB to a new offense, but none of that will matter if we don't get better play out of the guys up front. I finally got around to watching the recorded UVA game. Boy, it was worse than I thought. Brewer was really getting brutalized in the first half. He got a little more time in the second half, and his numbers showed it. Other than missing a wide open Bucky for a sure TD, he played a lot better than I was giving him credit for. Every QB misses an open receiver once in a while.
The question for next year is whether the OL will improve enough for Fuente's vaunted offensive acumen to register on the field. All starters are returning, except for Wade "Whiff" Hansen. Does it matter if the starters are returning if they're not very good? Or is it a matter of having the talent, but needing a different blocking scheme and coach to get the most out of their abilities? We haven't even finished this year, and I'm already anxious for next year. Just crazy, I guess.
Reactions: datHOKIEvt and GC1
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT