ADVERTISEMENT

***2015 VT TARGET BOARD 12.31 UPDATE***

Our last target board update was Dec. 3. A few targets have committed elsewhere, but Virginia Tech is still in great shape with a number of top players. Here's the latest on where the Hokies stand.

COMMITMENTS ELSEWHERE: QB Chad Kelly to Ole Miss, RB Nyheim Hines to NC State, OL Kenny Thomas to Louisville, OL Jahair Jones [/B]to Miami, DE Josh Sweat[/B] to Florida State, DE Adam McLean [/B]to Maryland, LB Ricky DeBerry [/B]to Oklahoma, LB Darrin Kirkland [/B]to Tennessee, ATH Damien Dozier to Marshall and CB Mike Hughes [/B]to North Carolina.

New offers by VT: QB Dwayne Lawson and OL Jahair Jones.

VT COMMITMENTS: DE Yosuah Nijman, DE/LB Houshun Gaines, [/B]Safety Adonis Williamson[/B].
[/B]
VT DECOMMITMENTS: ATH Damien Dozier[/B].

DECOMMITMENTS [/I]ELSEWHERE[/I]: None.

RISERS: QB Dwayne Lawson, who told HokieHaven.com Dec. 18 that VT is essentially the odds on favorite. Lawson spoke just after announcing his decommitment from Miami and said he loves offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler and wants to major in agri-business. He'll be announcing his decision Sunday at the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl and told Rivals.com he's already made his decision. Our sources say he's already verballed to VT, but will officially choose between VT, Miami and USF.

WR Lawrence Cager, who will be deciding Saturday at the Army All-American Bowl. He told Rivals.com yesterday that he still regularly keeps up with assistant coach Aaron Moorehead and the Hokies, who were also the last to get an official visit from him. He will choose from VT, Alabama, Miami, Georgia and Ole Miss, VT being the only one in the group he's officially visited. His options have dwindled as he's waited, making the Hokies look attractive, but also said he could take one other official visit after his announcement, which could also be bad news for VT.

DT Tim Settle, who will be announcing Friday at the Under Armour All-American Game. Settle has long favored VT and will choose between the Hokies, USC and Louisville. Rivals.com analyst Mike Farrell believes VT is the pick and Settle has long spoken highly of the Hokies, defensive coordinator Bud Foster and the opportunity to play early.

DE Shelton Johnson, who officially visited VT Dec. 12. He's been a recluse, but sources say the Hokies believe they're in very strong position. Much of that stems from Josh Sweat committing to Florida State, as the Seminoles were long the leader for Johnson but now appear to be set at DE. No indication on a timeline for a decision, though.

LB Jeffrey Holland, who raised a few eyebrows Sunday night at Under Armour game registration when he told Mike Farrell that he remains in contact with the Hokies' staff and plans on making an official visit sometime next month. His former teammate is freshman WR Isaiah Ford and his current teammates, Kevin Toliver and Victor Alexander, have long been recruited by VT.

FALLERS:[/I] OL Fred Johnson, who told HokieHaven.com Dec. 30 that Miami is his favorite school. Johnson decommitted from VT in November and said he likes the aspect of playing close to home with the Hurricanes. He's still in contact with the Hokies and has a top five of VT, Miami, Tennessee, LSU and Florida.

RB Bryce Love, who did take an official visit to VT this fall, but appears set between Stanford and Tennessee. He told Rivals.com Dec. 14 that he'll be officially visiting those schools Jan. 16 and Jan. 23. He said he'll likely decide the following weekend.

OL Isaiah Prince[/B], who has been in contact with VT for months and had set an official visit to Blacksburg Jan. 30, but gave no mention of the Hokies in an interview at the Army pre-game Dec. 30 with BuckeyeGrove.com. Our sources say Prince's father has told the VT staff he'll still visit Jan. 30, but Prince himself hasn't said that, saying he would more likely visit Maryland.

NOTE: Also keep in mind that any prospects who are not listed as risers or fallers have not had their odds changed.
This post was edited on 12/31 12:02 PM by Jason Stamm

Click HERE For The 2015 Target Board

Congrats to the team for a solid win over Cincy...

...some thoughts...

1) This was by far the best the special teams have looked in ages...and it was also the first time in 28 years that Frank didn't coach them. Coincidence? I noticed that in kickoff coverage, the guys were maintaining their lanes and breaking down at the end to wait on (and surround and gang tackle) the ball carrier instead of having a couple of guys over pursuing and blow right past the returner (therefore giving up creases and big returns). Textbook special teams coverage, and the first time I've seen that out of VT in a long, long time. Again I ask, coincidence? The punt coverage was outstanding, with the returner getting tackled at the moment of catching the ball almost every time.

2) Who was #2 for the defense and why did he choose NOT to cover anyone the entire game? He single-handidly gave up half of Cincy's total yardage all by himself. Along the same thought lines, where were all of our usual cornerbacks besides Fuller (who looked fantastic out there)? Did we have that many injuries coming into this game?

3) Stroman playing a lot of defense and getting a few snaps at running back was a nice adjustment. Good for him getting that defensive TD. The kid has great speed. He did field one punt and ran backwards for a 20 yard loss, though, which is a major no-no for a punt returner.

4) Coleman looked fantastic out there. Where was this all year? Interconnectedly, the oline had their best night run blocking maybe all season.

5) Good lord, our passing game is a train wreck. No QB, no pass blocking, dumb pass routes that aren't designed to accomplish anything...luckily, we used it more and more sparingly as the game went on and the running game took over. Is it just me, or does anyone else say, "Oh no" every single time we ever drop back to pass the ball?

6) Lots of freshmen and sophomores on the field for VT yesterday. LOTS returning next year.

This post was edited on 12/28 12:52 PM by hokiemtc

Bleacher report says Nijman to VT!

Here's Bitter's article:

By Andy Bitter | The Roanoke Times

Joshua Nijman
, a 6-foot-6, 265-pound offensive/defensive lineman, picked Virginia Tech over offers from Miami, Virginia and Temple on Tuesday.

Nijman, a nationally ranked shot putter from his time at Columbia High in Maplewood, New Jersey, spent this fall at Fork Union. 247 Sports lists him as a four-star prospect.

He'll be a January enrollee after signing today. Here is his highlight reel from FUMA, where he played mostly as a defensive lineman.

Shane Beamer and Stacy Searels were Nijman's primary recruiters.

This post was edited on 12/17 2:17 PM by BigDaddyHokie

DeShawn McNease

was a 3 star when he picked VT. Now a 4 star and rightly so.

He seems 2 steps faster than an older highlight film I saw. He must have had nagging injuries in the old one.

He may see early playing time even in our talented depth chart next year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQi1i4rlDa0

This post was edited on 12/25 11:59 AM by BigDaddyHokie

Former QB at Deep Run HS Jack Click will walk on at VT

He's 6'4" and 215 lbs and the school's single season passing record. He prepped this Fall at Fork Union and was the team's starting QB and team captain.

No doubt he could play at many other schools with a full schollie. He can pass from the pocket or on the run.

Check out these highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JwKxLNUpfE

This post was edited on 12/25 10:35 AM by BigDaddyHokie

Best team or Most deserving team? The BCS was a better system

The committee has stated they want to get the best four teams. They have not mentioned anything about the most deserving teams in the Final Four. There is a huge difference in the best teams and the most deserving teams. I like the old BCS system and they should have kept it and simply taking the top four. we already have human dishonesty involved with this new process. The best foUr teams in my opinion are Alabama Mississippi Mississippi State and Oregon. They say they go by the eyeball test, but you cannot tell me they are not looking at records also. Otherwise, Mississippi and Mississippi State would still be in the discussion. Both of these two schools would beat Ohio State TCU or Baylor in my opinion. But since they have 2 or 3 losses, they are not even in the discussion which contradicts who they feel are really the best Four teams. They are clearly mixing and matching the best teams and the most deserving teams. Florida State is obviously the most deserving team and they are looking at conference champions like TCU or Baylor and Ohio State which are somewhat deserving teams, but I still feel these three are not the best teams.

This post was edited on 12/3 4:16 PM by lucustookis

FREE Access Til Signing Day

Guys, for any of you on the fence about subscribing, TODAY until 8 pm only, get FREE access to HokieHaven.com from now until signing day! Just enter code: Hokies22

This is our early Christmas present to all of you who post regularly here on our free board, but haven't decided to make the jump over to the premium side.

1636246.jpg

This post was edited on 12/22 1:16 PM by Jason Stamm

Enter promo code here

Why don't we ever go the JUCO route in recruiting

A quick glance at the 2014 JUCO top 100 showed that the SCC pulled 29 recruits from the JUCO ranks. This year they already have 13, and many remain uncommitted at this point. Most college teams have year after year needs, based on injuries and personal development of players. It would look like we would at least explore this route as needs come along. Louisville, Miami, Clemson, Florida State in the ACC all use it regularly. Just food for thought. I don't know if I would prefer it over recruiting high school seniors, just it could be a valuable supplemental tool to help the program get back. (It helped Auburn tremendously after their horrible year get back to the National Championship).
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT